3975 University Dr # 410,
Fairfax, VA 22030


My company is properly registered in Virginia but we do business in various other states. Do I need to register my company as a “foreign” entity in those states?

registered agent Fairfax, registered agent Virginia

While each state has different rules, there are some general principles that govern the registration of “domestic” Virginia entities in other states. Most every state tests the need to register based on the frequency and the nature of the business transactions occurring in the applicable state. It is not always easy to make a determination, but you can find the rules for each state here: https://www.sba.gov/starting-business/choose-register-your-business/register-state-agencies

In most states, you will need to register your Virginia entity as a foreign entity if any of the following are true:

  • You maintain an office in the state.
  • You have employees physically working in the state with regard to business conducted in the state (simply living or working remotely in the state on business not occurring in the state generally does not require registration).
  • You regularly send sales personnel to conduct business in the state.
  • You physically perform a contract in the state (for example, a construction project).




We Can Help

If you need help determining whether you need to register your business in another state, and/or you need help registering your business in another state, do not hesitate to contact us for assistance. Our firm will provide you a reasonable flat-fee quote to perform the service, inclusive of any requisite filing fees. In most cases, the registration can be done relatively quickly.

In addition to acting as your company’s registered agent, our law firm can assist your company with most any business-related legal issue in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia. We have a great deal of experience with respect to business litigation, mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, contract review, employment law, partnership disputes, debt collection, and other business law topics. Go to www.grddlaw.com to learn more about us. Call us at 703-273-1400 or send an e-mail to info@grddlaw.com.

Visit our Website

About Our Law Firm

Gross, Romanick, Dean & DeSimone, P.C. is a law firm located in Fairfax, Virginia. Since 1980, our attorneys have dedicated themselves to providing cost efficient legal services to individuals and businesses in Northern Virginia and the Washington, D.C. Metro Area. We meet our clients’ needs by applying hard work with integrity to find creative and practical legal solutions. Our extensive business litigation experience, and our understanding of the transactional mistakes that often lead to expensive courtroom battles, helps us to advise our clients on business deals and the resolution of commercial disputes. To learn more about our firm, visit: www.grddlaw.com or call us at 703-273-1400